Frequently Asked Questions

Feel free to ask us anything…

How Can We Help You

Browse the topics below to find what you are looking for.

About Us

We are registered for therapy services, support coordination and positive behaviour support.  At this time we have Occupational Therapy and Psychology available through our therapy services.

Our clients generally have National Disability Insurance Scheme funding in the areas of Support Coordination, Improved Daily Living or Improved Relationships.  We have also provided services through the Insurance Commission of WA and Department of Communities.  Get in touch if you have a different funding source and see if we can help. 

We charge according to the price guide that the National Disability Insurance Agency publishes. This changes each year, so get in touch to discuss fees.

We ARE NDIS registered, and can help with plans with any management type. 

We mainly service the central and north eastern metropolitan regions of Perth.  We can make some exceptions at times, so get in touch and we can discuss your particular needs.

We work with adolescents and adults. We do not work with young children as we don’t have the skills or therapy resources that are suitable for these age groups. 

Learn More About Our Services

Occupational Therapy is the science and art of using everyday activities to assist people to build skills and independence.  Occupational therapists are university trained professionals who assist people to be independent in their daily lives.

Support coordination is a service that assists a person who has NDIS funding to understand and implement their plan.  A support coordinator can be an allied health professional, a nurse, a person with extensive experience in disability services or a person who has another bachelor degree, such as public health or health promotion. Your support coordinator will have deep knowledge of the NDIS and will help you to navigate the system and use your plan to meet your goals.

Positive behaviour support specialists can be allied health professionals or disability support workers who have specialist post graduate skills and training to support people who may engage in behaviours of concern.   PBS practitioners complete a functional behaviour assessment to identify unmet needs for the person they are supporting.  They then assist the person and their team to address these needs and build quality of life. 

PBS services are accessed by people who have disability who also exhibit challenging behaviour.  Challenging behaviour occurs when people’s needs are not met.  It can put the person with disability or other’s safety at risk.  It can stop the person accessing normal community spaces and places.

PBS services can assist you to have your needs met, and therefore help you to be happier and safer.

An Occupational Therapist can help you to work on being more independent in any area of life that you want to work on.  If you have a goal, or something you want to improve, an OT can help! OTs work in a way that suits you, to meet your goals.  For  example you might want to be more independent.  An OT will work will you to identify your specific goals – maybe you want to be more organised and not miss any appointments? The OT will assist you to find the organisation strategy or equipment that works for you – maybe a watch with alarms, or a white board in your living room, or an online diary – it will be specific to you and your needs. OTs can help with independence at home, at work or in leisure time.  They can also assist with emotional regulation, sensory difficulties, access to equipment that will help and others. 

What is psychology?

Psychology is a scientific practice focused on understanding how the human mind thinks, feels, behaves and learns. Other focuses among this includes; emotional understanding, personality, cognition, motivation, perception, memory, and the biological processes which are the driving force to all these factors.  

Psychologists study individuals with the aim to better understand the functionality of people, and how to help them attain a good quality of life. Psychologists at Purple Patch Therapy are experienced in a range of challenges people face with disability, including but not limited to people living with Autism Spectrum Disorder, Intellectual Disability and Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder. At Purple Patch, we work with the individual and key stakeholders in their lives to best meet the needs of the individual we are serving, to provide a holistic approach. This can look like typical and traditional therapy, but more often is much more creative, catering to each person. 


Why might I need to see a psychologist?

A psychologist can provide guidance and support in all stages of life – the good, the bad and the ugly! Engaging a psychologist can assist with a variety of symptomology installing coping and skill building strategies, with evidence-based treatment. Treatments the psychologists at Purple Patch Therapy utilise include Behaviour Therapy, Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, Solution Focused Therapy, Narrative Therapy and Dialectical Behaviour Therapy techniques. We cater to the needs of each individual we serve, often integrating treatment approaches, using them flexibly so to meet the complexities of each person’s presentations.  No concern is too big or small. A psychologist can assess your concerns, life circumstances, and offer advice, support and treatment to address these in a safe and confidential space. 

Art by Celeste Haji-Ali, Yawaru Artist.  Instagram: celeste.hajiali.art


The National Disability Insurance Scheme or NDIS is scheme created to provide support to people with disability.  It is administered by the National Disability Insurance Agency under the NDIS legislation. 

You need to be an Australian resident, aged under 65 years.  You need to have a significant disability that affects your function in one of the following areas – communication, social interaction, learning, mobility, self care or self management.  The persons disability needs to reduce their social or economic participation.  The person’s disability either needs to be permanent or could respond well to early intervention to reduce impact on the person.  The NDIS decides who is eligible for the scheme.  Check in with your local LAC for help about access to the scheme. 

Plan management refers to the way the funds in your plan are able to be spent.  There are three options – agency or NDIS managed where your funds are accessed by providers directly through a government portal called My Place.  The second is plan management where the NDIS puts some funding in your plan so a service called a ‘plan manager’ can pay your providers on your behalf.  The last is self management, where you access the My Place portal and pay providers yourself.  

They are three styles of plan management all different and it will depend on your needs which one is best for you.  Agency management is the easiest – you do the least work, but you need to choose providers who are registered by the NDIS so they can access the portal on your behalf.  So that reduces your choice.  Plan management allows you to choose non-registered providers, and your paid plan manager does most of the work for you – kind of a happy medium.  Self managers have the most flexibility, but you will have to manage the funds by yourself.  Some people try plan management then work toward becoming self manager in subsequent plans so they can learn what its all about. 

The NDIS is based on legislation, and in that legislation is a set of rules that allows you to appeal a plan that you don’t think isn’t meeting your needs.  The first step is get straight back in touch with the NDIS for a “review of a reviewable decision”. If that doesn’t work out , then you can do an “external review”.  There are advocates who are free that can help you to get your plan reviewed.  These are different in each state. In WA they are Midlas, PWD and Uniting Care West.  It is a good idea to ask for a review if you don’t think your plan will meet your needs. 

Reasonable and necessary” refers to section 34 of the NDIS legislation.  This section says the NDIS is only allowed to fund services that meet six criteria – it needs to be related to a goal, it needs to support your social and economic participation, be good value for money, be safe and effective, it needs to be something only the NDIS should fund – not another party like health, education or your informal carers, yourself or your family. If you can prove what you need meets this criteria, the NDIS will fund it.

The legislation determines who can access the NDIS.  You need evidence that you meet access criteria.  You will need to be under 65 years of age when you first access the scheme – if you pass the age of 65 once a participant, you can stay on the scheme or move to aged care – it’s then your choice.  You need to be an Australian citizen or permanent resident or have a special category visa.  You need to have a disability that affects your functioning to a significant degree. This disability needs to be permanent or likely to be permanent. The disability also needs to reduce your social or economic participation to a significant degree.  You may also meet the access criteria on the basis of early intervention – where your function will be greatly assisted if you have early intervention. The NDIS website has more information about access.

You need to get an access form from the NDIS website.  You’ll need to fill this out with your GP, specialist or existing therapist.  You need to show that you meet the access criteria (see FAQ) above.  You can also get help with access from an Local Area Coordinator (LAC) office in your area. 

How do I get started?

Get in touch to find out more about our services, we are happy to have an obligation free conversation to help you to find your own purple patch!
Scroll to Top

Contact Us

drop us a line

Leave us some positive feedback!

Please enter your email, so we can follow up with you.

Let us know how we can improve!

Please enter your email, so we can follow up with you.